For Spring Break 2022, we decided to take the family out west! We spent time planning the trip for about a year… and by “we” I mean LUKE! He did all the research, talked to friends, booked accommodations & tours in advance, made dinner reservations and my job was to document the trip through pics…can do. 🙂 We traveled for 11 days, through 3 states, and hit 5 national parks in 5 straight days…which I may have requested a day of rest in there somewhere, ha! We made memories we will NEVER forget. I couldn’t begin to imagine the beauty we experienced. What a creative God! I took approx. 3500 photos… but I will spare you all and narrow down to some of our faves. If you are planning a trip out west for yourselves or are curious where some of the photos were taken, we’ve included an outline of our itinerary at the end of the post.
Now we’ve gotten a taste of adventure… let us know where we should go next!
2022 Out West ITINERARY
- 3/9: ✈️ Arrive in Las Vegas (1 night) – the Strip… Pickup Rental Van
- Accommodations: Dinner/Stay at Resorts World
- 3/10-3/12: 2.5 Hour Drive to Zion (2 days) – around town backside of park… Springdale 30min drive to gate, *canyoneering*: hiking and rappelling slot canyons (red desert adventure company)
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Family Suite)
- 3/12-3/13: 2.5 Hour Drive to Bryce Canyon (1 day) – Bryce city, smaller park, visitors center, drive to top for views
- Accommodations: Best Western
- Escalante – it’s called Pizza Place
- Boulder – Hells Backdoor Grill (recommended but was closed)
CAPITAL REEF (on the way to Moab)
- Capital Reef National Park – historic homestead, orchard
- 3/13-3/16: 4 Hour Drive to Moab (3 days) – Arches + Canyonlands National
- Dead Horse Point State Park
- Sunset Hummer Tour 3/15 5-8pm
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Safari w Kids Tent)
- 3 Hour Drive to Monument Valley *drive by*
- Moki Dugway
- 3/16-3/18: 2.5 Hour Drive to Lake Powell + Page (2 days) – Horseshoe Bend… Lees Ferry: *River float* (Kayak the Colorado) drive up river and float back on Horseshoe Bend 4+hr excursion – did not end up doing this
- 30min Drive – Antelope Canyon 3/18
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Stargazer w Kids)
- 3/18-3/19: 2.5 Hour Drive to Grand Canyon (1 days) – South rim, stay at the Lodge ($$), the mule barn, the El Tovar restaurant & others in the village – shuttles from visitor center to trails + Hermits Rest
- Sunset at multiple spots along the rim – STUNNING
- Accommodations: El Tovar
- Shopping & Ice Cream
- The Hudson – Happy Hour menu!
- Spring Training Baseball Game
- 3/20: 2.5 Hour Drive to 3:30pm Return Rental Van
- ✈️ Leave Phoenix
INCIDENTALS: Food, Gas, Airport Parking, Southwest Airfare, Dollar Rental Car (Van), National Park Pass
TIP (4th graders only): If you register your 4th grader for “Every kid outdoors” they receive a FREE National Park Pass which covers the whole car.