For Spring Break 2022, we decided to take the family out west! We spent time planning the trip for about a year… and by “we” I mean LUKE! He did all the research, talked to friends, booked accommodations & tours in advance, made dinner reservations and my job was to document the trip through pics…can do. 🙂 We traveled for 11 days, through 3 states, and hit 5 national parks in 5 straight days…which I may have requested a day of rest in there somewhere, ha! We made memories we will NEVER forget. I couldn’t begin to imagine the beauty we experienced. What a creative God! I took approx. 3500 photos… but I will spare you all and narrow down to some of our faves. If you are planning a trip out west for yourselves or are curious where some of the photos were taken, we’ve included an outline of our itinerary at the end of the post.
TOP HIGHLIGHTS: Under Canvas, Canyoneering, GypsyGuide, & Sunset Hummer Tour!
Now we’ve gotten a taste of adventure… let us know where we should go next!
2022 Out West ITINERARY
- 3/9: ✈️ Arrive in Las Vegas (1 night) – the Strip… Pickup Rental Van
- Accommodations: Dinner/Stay at Resorts World
- 3/10-3/12: 2.5 Hour Drive to Zion (2 days) – around town backside of park… Springdale 30min drive to gate, *canyoneering*: hiking and rappelling slot canyons (red desert adventure company)
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Family Suite)
- 3/12-3/13: 2.5 Hour Drive to Bryce Canyon (1 day) – Bryce city, smaller park, visitors center, drive to top for views
- Accommodations: Best Western
- Escalante – it’s called Pizza Place
- Boulder – Hells Backdoor Grill (recommended but was closed)
CAPITAL REEF (on the way to Moab)
- Capital Reef National Park – historic homestead, orchard
- 3/13-3/16: 4 Hour Drive to Moab (3 days) – Arches + Canyonlands National
- Dead Horse Point State Park
- Sunset Hummer Tour 3/15 5-8pm
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Safari w Kids Tent)
- 3 Hour Drive to Monument Valley *drive by*
- Moki Dugway
- 3/16-3/18: 2.5 Hour Drive to Lake Powell + Page (2 days) – Horseshoe Bend… Lees Ferry: *River float* (Kayak the Colorado) drive up river and float back on Horseshoe Bend 4+hr excursion – did not end up doing this
- 30min Drive – Antelope Canyon 3/18
- Accommodations: Under Canvas (Stargazer w Kids)
- 3/18-3/19: 2.5 Hour Drive to Grand Canyon (1 days) – South rim, stay at the Lodge ($$), the mule barn, the El Tovar restaurant & others in the village – shuttles from visitor center to trails + Hermits Rest
- Sunset at multiple spots along the rim – STUNNING
- Accommodations: El Tovar
- Shopping & Ice Cream
- The Hudson – Happy Hour menu!
- Spring Training Baseball Game
- 3/20: 2.5 Hour Drive to 3:30pm Return Rental Van
- ✈️ Leave Phoenix
INCIDENTALS: Food, Gas, Airport Parking, Southwest Airfare, Dollar Rental Car (Van), National Park Pass
TIP (4th graders only): If you register your 4th grader for “Every kid outdoors” they receive a FREE National Park Pass which covers the whole car.
Be the first to comment